Friday, September 08, 2006

INTRODUCTION

The following transcript is part of a journal of notes and thoughts that I kept during a 6 week stay in Nigeria during the winter of 2003. This was the first time I had been to Nigeria since I left the country for the United Kingdom in December 1989. I had not planned to keep a diary of sorts as I was still recovering from the shock of finding out my mother had secretly bought my plane tickets without consulting me!

Throughout the 7 hour flight I honestly did not know what to feel or how I would react to the environment, but as soon as I stepped off the plane and tasted the humid, Nigerian evening air, all the childhood memories which I had repressed to the basement of my mind came flooding back. I was home...

I decided then that I had to keep a 'record' of my experiences in this foreign 'home' as I didn't know when I would be coming back.

I made entries into the journal every morning as the Holy Spirit led me, writing about things I had seen or experienced the day before. I tried to be as nonjudgmental as possible, only writing my feelings.

Some might find certain issues covered in the transcript as sacred, or might disagree vehemently with my views, which I totally respect. It is my great wish and hope that by opening the doors to our problems and having honest discussions about the plight of our nation, we will find a way to create a better future, if not for ourselves, then for the generations to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home